Thursday, July 2, 2009

Ausgezeichnet! Lost in Translation

P and I visited Swiss Pastry in Fort Worth today. I was craving a California Croissant sandwich with avocado and the likely excuse to covet a slice of Black Forest cake. The American version of the originating German Black Forest cake, served here without the cherries, is by far my ultimate favorite treat. It's simple, but in my humble opinion, oh so special! It’s opulent and divine. Perhaps it's the textural combination of crumbly with smooth and rich. Made up of a light and airy wafer enhanced with two consecutive layers of whipped cream adorned with perfect chocolate shavings, this impressive cake makes me giddy all over. Because it is light and airy in texture, NOT in calories, the cake must be knocked over to it's side in order to get a forkful of all the layers at one time or risk losing the most sensational sensory satisfaction known to woman! The Germans would say “Ausgezeichnet!” The multitude of feelings that I get from this cake alone gets lost in translation!

No comments: