Thursday, January 12, 2012

Truly Delicious!


Urban legends?  Myths?  Town gossip?  Do any of these things entice you?  Would you answer differently if enticed with a piece of pie?  Of course! And that's what happened to me when I took a country drive to Hico, Texas where the town motto is “Where Everybody is Somebody!”  This quaint town seems friendly enough to discount the fallacies it has been burdened with for years. The Koffee Kup Restaurant located in the heart of the town is a popular cafe known for its world famous pies which incidentally are topped with a serious peak of meringue but also for the urban legend that the restaurant once named The Koffee Kup Kafe was a meeting ground for the infamous Ku Klux Klan. The story goes that the name created somewhat of a squawk that the owners found it necessary to change it.  People visit this cafe for several reasons. It made Texas Monthly’s list of top 40 cafes, it caught Guy Fieri's attention, and for the fascination of the town saga. Seated at the entrance table, I noticed there were names carved into the wood, undoubtedly preserved with oodles of layered lacquer.  The longer I sat, the more time my mind had to go into convulsions as I tried to further analyze the credence of the tall tell. What did these names represent? Even though I had already came up with my own spin, I finally worked up the nerve to ask the waitress.  "Oh those names...those are just names of some coffee club members that used to come in every morning; they're probably already dead since that was along time ago", she said. Posing in what I call my disbelief stance...tilting my head then squinting my eyes, I responded with this uncontrollable wit that was dying to come out even though afterward, I couldn't believe I said it!  "Hm...I bet none of those guys ever took their coffee black huh?"  I snickered.as I was trying desperately to lighten things up for my sake.  It was apparent she didn't think I was funny. "OK, stop it Laura before you get in trouble and enjoy the pie she just brought!" Ah yes...the pie!  One bite is all it took to lose interest in any ole spoof. There is certainly one thing though that I know is TRUE.  Their pecan pie was oh soooo good!  It's so easy to get carried away in our  imagination that we tend to add to or mix up the story but one thing I cannot coil is that our taste buds cannot be persuaded into believing something is not good when it is! 

Disclaimer:  To anyone who reads this and could potentially have ties with the aforementioned organization, this post was not intended to infuse the myth or to stir up any trouble. Any resemblance to names appearing here could simply be coincidental and the words contained herein are just a set of carefully laid out nouns and verbs with a few conjunctions, if you will; therefore the writer cannot be held libel for her own silly musings.  It's a simple post from a sick simple minded girl who just likes to eat pie. That's it! 




















No comments: