Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Easy as Pie

Ever think about the phrases, THAT'S A PIECE OF CAKE and IT’S EASY AS PIE -- "Something that can be done easily and pleasurably.” The thought surely derives from the fact that for most people eating a piece of cake is easy and a pleasure as it should be. I'm still wondering about those phrases however. A piece of cake is easy to cut, but not so easy to make. And what's so easy about pie? Have you ever made one? Did you also make the crust? I know there has to be SOMETHING easy about pie. But if it had a crust, I'm still not sure how it could be easy.I’ve baked a few cakes but have not baked any pies in my time and don’t imagine there is nothing easy about doing so--it's not arduous, but it is certainly not carefree! Particularly if you prepare the crust from scratch as opposed to using something from a box (ugh!) or ready made in the grocery store (double ugh!). Could the expression have an implication such as: "Easy as eating a piece of pie" perhaps? And so, I’ve come to the conclusion that is the synonymous implication indeed. Surely eating a piece of good pie or cake is an easy thing to do. At least it is for me! I eat a lot more than I bake but as soon as I can rummage through my messy collection of magazine recipes (ouch... hate to admit that out loud), I will be posting tried and true fool proof recipes that I know work. Until then, eat more cake!

No comments: